Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, everyone!
I hope you all did an extra-wonderful job of caring for the environment today. :)
Growing up in Portland, where the city is known for being progressive in environmentalism, and where, for most, the Green "movement" is very much a part the way of life, I thought that recycling and taking care of the earth was understood by everyone.

When I started at my new store, though, there was no recycling there... at all! It just about killed me. Finally, I couldnt take it anymore - I put a stop to it and have reinvigorated the recycling movement there. I still have to pull things out of the trash multiple times a day, but Im happy to put my hands in the trash in order to properly dispose of something.
Even then, there is so much that gets wasted: soy boxes that cant be recycled, wax warming papers. But what pains me the most is seeing the millions of cups and paper bags and boxes that get thrown away every single day!

Im no saint, by any means.
I love long (hot) showers, and Im always cold so I like the heater on a little more than I should
keep it. But I try to make up for it in other ways -- such as compulsively refusing a plastic bag at store, even if I dont have my own.
No one person can do it all, we all have to make sacrifices, in any way we can, and our combined efforts (...that actually just reminded me of Captain Planet - haha!) will make a difference.

-Reuse your cup,
-Recycle EVERYTHING -Plant a tree
-Pick up trash when you see it on the ground - I know its gross but if you see it and dont do anything about it, you may as well have littered yourself.
-Carpool, walk, bike, take public transit whenever possible.

I know it sounds like a daunting task, but even if you cant do these things
all the time, the occasional change can still make a huge improvement, and you never know what kind of domino affect it will have all around you.

Here's another, far more superior,
list compiled of the many ways you can help reduce the deterioration of the planet, to keep it as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

Dont you want your kids and grandkids to enjoy the beauty of the earth just as we do?

Comments

Popular Posts