A Rose-less Oregon....


After both UO and OSU played extremely well in the Civil War game in November, the Ducks ultimately made the final touchdown to qualify them for the coveted Rose Bowl, which was played yesterday in Pasadena.

I am a Duck, I began my degree at UO, and graduated from there this past year, but I am not a die-hard. During the Civil War, I cheered for both sides when a great play was made, and felt remorse when OSU fought their hardest but ultimately did not win the game, which they also should have won last year...

I dont say "boo, Beavers," just because I am a Duck at heart; and it really makes me sad when others do, and even mad when Beaver fans say they hate the Ducks. I understand having pride in your school and your team. Im ALL for that! You should! And I will never say that is a bad thing.
I just wish people, everyone, would have a bit more sportsmanship. But, apparently this is all "part of the game."

This is struggle is ongoing, as my dearest sister goes to school at OSU. She is great about not getting into this whole, I-hate-you-just-because-you're-a-duck mentality, so that is wonderful. But others, some of her friends, or other adults I know, said yesterday that they would NEVER root for the Ducks and were cheering on the Ohio State Buckeyes, which were the Ducks' opponents in yesterday's game.

WOW.

I just think that is horrible, to not even be able to support a team, any team, from Oregon, going to a big Bowl Game, just because they are the opponent of your team.

Like I said, I understand one's team spirit, and for any other game, I would look the other way, and even expect it. But when a team from Oregon has the opportunity to represent our small, mildly-unknown, state, which does not get that opportunity very often, in a big game like this, you want to cheer for the other team???

I guess I just do not get it. and I probably never will....

Comments

Popular Posts