shorthand

I have a friend that shortens just about everything -- to the point that she would probably say she "shortens 'ev.'"

It really is funny.
We laugh. And we still completely understand what it is she's trying to say.

Which, I think, is how it's become so acceptable and accepted.

It's new, different, endearing, viewed as "cool" because it's going against the norm.
It's quick and easy and it's actually kind of cute and fun.

I admit, I'm definitely guilty of responding with a quick "totes," and even a "most def."

But like anything, as it becomes more and more mainstream in our speech, it makes it's way into our writing. and that's when it starts to become a problem....

I was just reading the short recap from our OMN birthday party and noticed this:
What?!

And then I read this on one of the blogs I read:
A writer's blog.
Quoting from a novel.

UGH.


Comments

Popular Posts