the power of the mind


I believe, whole-heartedly in the psychology of the mind, mind over matter; if you believe something will work, it will.

Tarah and I had been wanting to try coconut water after hearing about the benefits it offers and the hydration/electrolyte value it holds. After getting four different kinds to try, we tried one of the brands out for during, after our workout. It is definitely a strong, acquired taste, and we have discovered that its better with a ratio of about 1:3 rather than 1:1.

The first day of our 'trial,' I brought mine with me to the gym to sip while I exercised, while T decided to wait until we got home. In just the first 10 minutes on the elliptical, I was feeling exhausted already, which is not typical. Grabbing my water bottle conveniently mixed with coco-h20, I guzzled it down hoping that the rumors about its superpowers were true.

While it didnt magically make the difficulty go away or "give me wings," I truly believe that it helped me get through the remaining 30 minutes on the elliptical, and reenergized me at least enough to do a solid 30 minutes of weights, which is pretty much unheard of for me.

Who knows if it was actually the coconut water doing its thing, or if it was just my mind believing it was in action, but I believe it that if you think it, it will happen, positively or negatively.
(I was also just reading a really interesting article in TIME magazine about the placebo effect in antidepressants, and Im a BIG believer in that too!)

Comments

  1. I drank some coconut water yesterday to rehydrate. I really don't like it either but never thought to mix it with water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask David about his coconut water story.
    I couldn't agree more about the legitimate affects of a good attitude. It's amazing what mind over matter can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts